Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fear....

I have all the pieces cut out for my project for the last two weeks....and everytime I have some free time I chose to distract myself I will watch t.v. listen to the radio and even worse go online, watch different sewing videos. But won't touch mine, then I realize that I am actually afraid of ruining my dress. It's weird I know I can do this but I second guess myself without even giving myself the opportunity. It maybe because I am a perfectionist and I hate making mistakes, it's the real reason I have a sewing instructor. I want a product that is finished with no errors, mistakes, issue, or drama. One of the reason I am hesitant is because I decided to use an abstract cotton print fabric on the back. Now that would mean the actual fabric will be a lining in the back section. Now do I sandwich the skirt between the two and sew them all together then flip the two sections together and treat them as one. Does that make sense? I don't know but I am going to have to figure it out. I will demonstrate what I talking about the next time I post. Another question is this has anyone have a project that they are intimited by? As always Have a good one, A.S.

5 comments:

Sassy said...

I know what you mean. Why don't yoou do a muslin to relieve yourself of all the stress. I only make skirts at the moment but when I start making tops/dresses, am definitely buying some £1 a yard fabric to test the pattern.

Sassy said...

Or buy an old sheet from a charity shop, stain free lol. Heard that suggested. It is so worth your sanity.

Sassy said...

Got an email saying you have left a comment on my blog, when I go into it there is no comment. Weird lol

Cennetta said...

Don't be intimidated. It's important that you try to make your dress. That's how you overcome the "fear". And of course, I have been intimidated many, many times in a variety of situations. Yes, even sewing. But I reach past that point of intimidation. And the results are better than I expected. So you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sit down at your sewing machine. Start by completing one of the simple construction steps. Then continue from there. You can do it.
Cennetta

Ambitious Sewer said...

Thanks Cennetta, It's good to know even the best at times get intimidated. I just got to get through it to do it.